Thursday, September 4, 2008

Thing #7: Technology

t-e-c-h-n-o-l-o-g-y = interconnectedness

This I feel is one of the best parts about technology, but some would argue also one of the worst because you are able to connect in new and more accessible ways, but is this ideal? Do we really want to be so available 24/7? It also sets a new precedent for modern communication.

On the positive side I am able to send communication in essentially an instant with an email or a text message to someone living in another state or even on the other side of the world. Also, it is handy to be able to share photos from a trip for example with family or friends who live out of town and who I might not be able to visit too often. So these services are very useful and convenient.

I am also able to retrieve information much more quickly through helpful search engines such as Google or glancing at Wikipedia which has been really useful in most cases.

But on the other side of things, online communication is somewhat passive and impersonal and lacking the social physicality of live, in person interactions. I think as long as it is used in moderation all is well.

And last but not least it gives introverts a welcomed advantage from time to time.

2 comments:

Susan V at CML said...

You are so right about the convenience of e-mail and that personal contact is taking a back seat. I am definitely guilty of skipping phone calls now and sending an e-mail in its place. But at the same time I'm able to stay in contact with more people and let them pick a convenient time to "talk" to me.

Susan

Another Library Guy said...

I know the 24/7 aspect of technology weighs on me. I think technology has made us less respectful of other's people time and more importantly their need to disconnect. It bothers me when people expect me to respond to email and cell phone calls immediately (but I know I am just as guilty of having those same expectations).